© 2014 MLB Advanced Media, L.P. All rights reserved.

5/20/2014 7:28 P.M. ET

Mets expect Lagares to return Wednesday

NEW YORK -- Center fielder Juan Lagares traveled to the Dominican Republic on the Mets' off-day to address a family issue, and he did not return in time for Tuesday's game. Expecting Lagares back Wednesday, the Mets opted not to place him on Major League Baseball's bereavement list.

That meant that Lagares sat out for the fifth time in eight games, though this one was not manager Terry Collins' doing.

Collins did play Wilmer Flores over Ruben Tejada at shortstop Tuesday, and general manager Sandy Alderson intimated that both Flores and Lagares may receive more consistent playing time going forward. Both players largely sat on the bench last week -- in Flores' case, after the Mets promoted him from Triple-A Las Vegas specifically to serve as their starting shortstop.

"What we have to do is make sure we have the long term in mind," Alderson said. "With respect to shortstop, with respect to center field, with respect to the bullpen, with respect to the starting rotation -- I don't mean to suggest that the long term is the next five years. But we have to make sure that we give some of our young players a chance to realize [their potential]."

Collins took a more measured approach.

"We're not at any time going to say, 'This is the answer,' or 'This is the guy,'" Collins said. "I'm certainly very, very aware with young players -- that's my entire background -- how to make sure they get enough playing time to stay sharp, and still improve at the same time."

d'Arnaud still experiencing concussion symptoms

NEW YORK -- With Travis d'Arnaud's concussion symptoms lingering, the Mets catcher will remain out for the foreseeable future.

d'Arnaud has not played since Alfonso Soriano struck him in the helmet with a backswing on May 13. He would have been eligible to come off the seven-day concussion disabled list on Tuesday, but the Mets will not remove him from that list until he demonstrates marked improvement.

"He's still feeling the effects of the initial impact, so at this point, I don't have a real good prognosis on when he will be back," general manager Sandy Alderson said. "At this point, as he exercises, he still experiences some symptoms. As a result, we're still in the recovery period."

In order to return, Alderson said, d'Arnaud must pass a post-concussion test, but the Mets will not ask him to do so until he is asymptomatic. Because d'Arnaud is on a specialized head-injury list and not the regular 15-day disabled list, Major League Baseball and the Players' Association must approve his return.

"We don't feel he's in a situation today where he should take that test," Alderson said. "Until he's feeling better, we won't run him through that testing."

In the interim, Anthony Recker and Juan Centeno will continue to split time at catcher.

Gee to skip at least one more turn through rotation

NEW YORK -- The Mets don't have to choose between Rafael Montero and Jacob deGrom just yet.

Dillon Gee plans to skip at least one more turn through the rotation as he works his way back from a strained lat muscle, meaning he will not pitch Monday against the Pirates. Gee's extended absence means Montero and deGrom will receive three starts apiece before the Mets must choose between them.

Gee, who has been resting in New York and receiving anti-inflammatory medication, plans to throw off flat ground for the first time Tuesday. If all feels well, he will throw a bullpen session later this week and advance to a Minor League rehab start from there. That would put him in line to return two weekends from now.

"This whole thing was about not making it into something bigger than it's going to be," Gee said. "I'd rather make sure that it's OK by pitching in competition, trying to get guys out. When we respond to that, we'll move back into games."

Drew returns to Red Sox with one-year deal

NEW YORK -- The Mets' flirtation -- if it can even be called that -- with Stephen Drew officially came to an end on Tuesday, when the free-agent shortstop agreed to terms on a prorated one-year deal with the Red Sox. Mets general manager Sandy Alderson spoke with Drew's agent, Scott Boras, at points this winter, but ceased even his cursory pursuit once the season began.

"I don't think I ever said we didn't have interest in Drew," Alderson said. "Under all the circumstances, [we] decided not to pursue it."

Though the Mets can still upgrade via trade, it is overwhelmingly likely that they will play out this season with Ruben Tejada and Wilmer Flores at short.

"The only thing I really know about Stephen Drew is his name," manager Terry Collins said. "I haven't seen him play very much. But what you're looking at is a veteran guy who, everybody says he's one of those guys who can do damage in your lineup, being left-handed. The Red Sox, no one knew him better than they did, so I'm sure they made the decision that was best for them. We're sitting here right now trying to make sure that we keep our guys as sharp as we can so we get the most out of them."

Worth noting

• The Mets removed reliever Gonzalez Germen from his Minor League rehab assignment due to an abscess that has complicated his condition. Germen went on the DL on May 12 due to illness, and Alderson said he will not return to the Mets when eligible.

Lucas Duda has apparently made amends with Shake Shack. The burger chain on Monday tweeted pictures of Duda and Phillies manager Ryne Sandberg wearing Shake Shack T-shirts, after both said they received food poisoning from a non Citi Field location earlier this month.

Anthony DiComo is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @AnthonyDicomo. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.