09/23/09 9:32 AM ET
Mets special assistant Pena won't be back
Official supervising international scouting reportedly out
By Bobbie Dittmeier / MLB.com
The New York Daily News reported Wednesday that Pena had been let go. ESPN.com reported on Tuesday that Pena would not be kept on beyond this season.
The departure of Pena, who was hired by the Mets in July 2006 to be a baseball operations consultant, is reportedly expected to be part of a larger shakeup in scouting and player development. Minor League field coordinator Luis Aguayo has been dismissed and vice president of scouting Sandy Johnson intends to retire, the Daily News said, citing sources. The newspaper said that the Mets are trying to persuade Johnson not to retire.
Vice president of player development Tony Bernazard was dismissed on July 27 after a series of events that included reports that he had challenged Minor League players to a fight.
Pena was named special assistant to the GM in December 2006. Prior to joining the Mets, he spent seven seasons as assistant to baseball operations in charge of foreign affairs for the Detroit Tigers.
Twenty-year-old outfielder Fernando Martinez, from the Dominican Republic is the only international free agent on the Mets' Major League roster who was signed during GM Omar Minaya's tenure, which began in September 2004. Shortstop Jose Reyes was signed in 1999.
Bobbie Dittmeier is an editor/producer for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.