© 2009 MLB Advanced Media, L.P. All rights reserved.

08/16/09 5:35 PM ET

Mets place Wright on 15-day disabled list

Post-concussion symptoms force slugger to the sidelines

NEW YORK -- Based on the recommendations of several doctors and specialists, the Mets placed David Wright on the 15-day disabled list with post-concussion symptoms following Sunday's 5-4 win over the Giants.

General manager Omar Minaya said the decision was made when he spoke with the specialist and Wright during Sunday's game.

"This is not a baseball decision, this is a medical decision," Minaya said. "And when the doctors strongly recommend that he [go on the] DL, we have to abide by the medical decision."

Wright was released from the Hospital for Special Surgery on Sunday morning after revisiting with the neurologist who diagnosed him with his condition, which mainly involves a headache. The four-time All-Star -- who received an apologetic voice mail from Giants starter Matt Cain on Saturday night -- is currently resting at home, and Wright is expected to rejoin his teammates at Citi Field in the early part of this week.

Wright exited Saturday's game after being hit in the helmet with a fourth-inning fastball from Cain. After lying motionless on his stomach for several minutes, team trainers helped Wright roll over and he was able to walk off the field under his own power. Television cameras showed Wright being transported via ambulance to a hospital, where he was diagnosed with a concussion and mandated to stay overnight.

Although manager Jerry Manuel left Wright's situation open on Sunday morning, saying that the third baseman's own opinion would be a factor in the decision if deemed medically healthy, Minaya revoked that luxury.

"David wanted to give it a chance to try to go out there and play, but we decided to take it away," Minaya said.

And while the tough-nosed Wright put up a good fight, Minaya's viewpoint and the recommendations of the doctors and concussion specialist won out.

"He understood," Minaya said. "He definitely wants to be here, but he understood."

So did Manuel, who said he had no problem with the expert's recommendations, except of course, that it leaves him without Wright for the next two weeks.

"I know David would want to be out there [on Monday]," Manuel said. "[He would] want to fight through it to do whatever he could. But at the end of the day, he understands team policy, so we have to move forward."

Both Minaya and Manuel steadfastly denied that the Ryan Church factor weighed in to the decision, with Minaya calling Sunday's move strictly a "David Wright situation."

Church suffered a mild concussion on May 20, 2008, while sliding into second base to try to break up a double play, and he returned to action just two days later. But the lingering effects forced him to the DL twice, and Church never fully recovered, missing nearly three months and playing in 90 games.

While Wright could potentially miss the rest of the season, Minaya stressed that the move for now is for the minimum 15 days, and after rest and recuperation, Wright will be reevaluated. Andy Green was recalled from Triple-A Buffalo to take Wright's roster spot. The 32-year-old Green was hitting .270 with three homers and 14 RBIs in 35 games for the Bisons.

"Obviously, David's not going to be happy, but at this point, it's the right thing to do," said Jeff Francoeur, who led the Mets out onto the field on Sunday in Wright's place. "I'm sure he doesn't want to hear that. I hate to hear that, too, because we need him so bad. But the last thing you want is for him to go out there, dive for a ball, get hit again, and the next thing you know, something's seriously wrong."

The Mets' No. 3 hitter, Wright entered Saturday's game batting .325 with eight homers and 55 RBIs before flying out to center field in his first at-bat in the first inning.

Brittany Ghiroli is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.