BOS@TB: Victorino exits game with hamstring strain

SEATTLE -- Red Sox right fielder Shane Victorino, who had been slowed for a few days by soreness in his right hamstring, resumed his Minor League rehab assignment on Monday by going 0-for-3 for Class A Lowell.

"Yeah he's got two to three at-bats with Lowell today. He'll have three to four at-bats tomorrow with Pawtucket and then we'll reassess where things are," said manager John Farrell. "We've got to make sure that as it gets through tonight, tomorrow's game activity will hinge on how he gets through tonight. But that's the tentative plan right now."

Victorino could return for this weekend's three-game series at Yankee Stadium, which starts Friday.

"It is a possibility, yes," said Farrell.

Meanwhile, third baseman Will Middlebrooks was scratched from Monday's game for Pawtucket with swelling in his right index finger.

Middlebrooks was placed on the disabled list with a fracture of that finger on May 17. He is making good progress and the swelling was believed to simply be the result of having five at-bats on Sunday.

Ortiz gets his hit, apologizes to MLB, Torre, scorer

MIN@BOS: Papi reaches first base on single

SEATTLE -- David Ortiz gained four points in his batting average before stepping to the plate on Monday night against the Mariners.

Official scorer Bob Ellis reversed his controversial call from the June 18 game against the Twins played at Fenway Park and awarded Ortiz with a hit while taking an error away from first baseman Joe Mauer.

Ortiz expressed regret on Monday for the way he handled the situation last week.

"All I have to say is I know I owe an apology to MLB, Mr. Joe Torre, even the scorekeeping guys," said Ortiz. "I know that I had frustration come out that way, and that's not what you really want."

Ortiz stung a ground ball to the right side that Mauer bobbled after making a half-dive to stop it in the first place.

Moments after Ellis ruled the play as an error, Ortiz gave a thumbs-down sign in the direction of the press box. After the game, in which the Red Sox won 2-1, he was critical of the scoring decision and expressed frustration that the Red Sox don't get the benefit of the doubt from official scorers more often during home games.

Torre, an executive vice president of Major League Baseball, later issued a statement backing the objectivity of official scorers and adding that everyone in the game deserves respect and added hope that "David will meet that standard going forward."

By Monday, Ortiz realized he was in the wrong.

"You don't want things to be like that and everything," said Ortiz.

Ortiz admitted that the trying season he is having individually and perhaps the struggles of his team led to the way he acted during and after Wednesday's game.

"This has been a season already that has been jam-packed with frustration," said Ortiz, who was hitting .252 after the call was changed. "At the end of the day, our job is based on results. I sit down and watch that TV every night after the game and I go 0-for-4, and all people talk and [complain] about is why I'm not hitting .300.

"Of course, you don't want to get caught into a situation … We are a family that of course needs to protect each other. There's a lot of people mad at me because I argued something that I didn't think I should get. I don't blame them. I'm not apologizing just because I got that result. It's because the message was spread out based on frustration. That's why I'm apologizing."

As Workman's suspension ends, rotation in flux

TB@BOS: Workman ejected after throwing behind batter

SEATTLE -- Brandon Workman's six-game suspension ends on Tuesday, when he will be back in the dugout for the Red Sox-Mariners game. What is less clear is when the right-hander will make his next start.

The rotation is in a bit of flux. Felix Doubront started in Workman's place on Friday. However, there's no word on whether he will remain in the rotation.

In fact, it is expected that Clay Buchholz will be activated from the disabled list to start Wednesday.

Though the Red Sox likely have an idea of what will happen with Workman, they aren't disclosing it just yet.

"We're going to get some early work with him as far as a [simulated] game goes just to get him back to facing hitters, likely get him a couple of innings up and down," said manager John Farrell.

Assuming Workman stays in the rotation, that could mean that right-hander Rubby De La Rosa, who has pitched well, will get optioned back to Triple-A Pawtucket.

Doubront, who has been inconsistent this season, could be headed for the bullpen.