PHI@NYM: Campbell's sac fly in first plate appearance

NEW YORK -- It didn't take long for Eric Campbell to get a nickname.

Campbell, promoted to the Major Leagues for the first time Saturday, heard a familiar calling card as he made his way through the home clubhouse at Citi Field. All of his teammates have been calling him "Soup," after the ubiquitous brand that shares his surname, and Campbell takes it all in good fun.

Campbell had an eventful day at the plate in his big league debut in the Mets' 5-4 loss to the Phillies. He pinch-hit with the bases loaded in the sixth inning and drove in the go-ahead run on a sacrifice fly. Campbell had another chance with runners on second and third in the eighth inning, but he struck out.

"It was a real up-and-down day," he said after the game. "I was on a high after I got that RBI, and then I was put in the same situation again in the eighth inning and didn't produce. That's baseball."

Campbell, a 2008 eighth-round Draft pick of the Mets, has long awaited his big league callup, and he was batting .355 for Triple-A Las Vegas at the time of his promotion. Campbell can play both infield and outfield corners and has seen time at second base, and he's thrilled to try his hand in the Majors.

"It's a dream come true. A lot of emotions going through my head right now. I'm excited and I'm ready," said Campbell. "I came in here at the end of Spring Training and tried not to look around too much because I wanted to have that feeling. It's awesome."

The Mets optioned Josh Satin to Las Vegas to make room for Campbell, and manager Terry Collins said that the roster move should give the team some additional flexibility. Campbell has played everywhere in the Minor Leagues, providing Collins with a handy insurance policy.

"He brings us tremendous versatility, first of all. He can play anywhere," said Collins. "They've played him at second, they've played him at short, first [base], the outfield, third. He brings that flexibility. If something happens, outside of catcher and pitcher, this guy can play anywhere."

Campbell reached Double-A for the first time in 2010, and he struggled when repeating the level the next year. The 27-year-old starred at Triple-A last season and was recognized as the best rookie in the Mets' Spring Training camp, but he said it was natural to doubt whether he'd make the Majors.

"I've been playing for six years and never got that chance," he said. "I think that goes through every player's [mind]; you question whether you're doing the right thing. This definitely makes it all worth it."

Satin batted just .107 in limited playing time as the Mets' backup first baseman, and Collins hopes that he'll be able to find his comfort zone by playing every day for Las Vegas.

"Any time you get sent out, you're disappointed," said Collins. "But as I told him, he made this team because of what he did last year, and the fact that when he got playing time, he hit. He wasn't getting a lot of playing time right now, and it's a difficult position when you're used to playing every day."

Mets weighing their options with starter Mejia

PHI@NYM: Mejia and Wright discuss loss to Phillies

NEW YORK -- The Mets still aren't sure what they have in Jenrry Mejia. The 24-year-old right-hander has bounced between the starting rotation and the bullpen in his brief big league tenure, and manager Terry Collins said Saturday that the Mets are currently reviewing how Mejia will best be used.

Mejia has always been viewed as a potential starter, but the Mets are concerned that he doesn't get deep enough in games to protect the rest of the bullpen. Mejia has completed six innings just twice in seven starts this season, prompting Collins to re-evaluate his status.

"Jenrry's stuff plays. It's good enough," said Collins. "Where you get a little concerned is the excessive pitches that he uses to sometimes get some outs. Look at last night -- in three innings, he had 63 pitches. That's a lot. In certain cases, we're lucky. We had Thursday off, so the bullpen was fine. We had a lot of guys down there we could use, but when you think you're going to get five innings out of a guy, you end up expending your bullpen a little bit. You've got to be good enough."

Mejia won each of his first three decisions this season, and Collins said the jury is still out on his ultimate role on the team. If the Mets decide that Mejia is a better fit in the bullpen, then Collins said the choice will be up to the player whether he'd stay, or start in Triple-A Las Vegas.

"I'm OK with him being in the bullpen, but he's got to accept it if that's going to be the decision. We have not made that decision yet," said Collins. "If that's our decision, then it's, 'Hey, we want to take a look at how this is going to work in the bullpen.' And then, if he wants to be here, he's got to pitch out of the bullpen. Certainly, we know he can do it and he knows he can do it."

Mejia faced the same decision in 2010 and decided to stay with the Mets as a reliever, but he said Saturday that he doesn't really know what to think. Mejia wants to be a starter, and he's concerned that a move to the bullpen could jeopardize his health. Mejia has had two surgeries on his elbow -- one Tommy John operation and one to remove a bone spur -- and he wants to protect his arm.

"I'm worried about my arm. I want to have a long career," he said. "If they make that point, then it's going to be hard for me. I don't want to get hurt again."

Mejia told Collins that he wants to stay in the rotation, and he said he'll ultimately understand if the manager decides he fits best as a reliever. The Mets aren't scheduled to make a decision until after Mejia's next bullpen session, and his rotation turn won't come back until Wednesday.

Mejia, when pressed again on his future, said he'll wait to see what the Mets decide.

"That's a decision we're going to make later," he said. "I told him I don't know if there's going to be a point to be in the bullpen because I've already had two operations. ... If he calls me and says, 'Get ready,' it's going to be hard. But you know, whatever decision he makes, there's nothing I can do."

Feeling better, Duda returns to Mets' lineup

STL@NYM: Duda belts a solo shot off Maness

NEW YORK -- Lucas Duda is feeling better and back in the lineup.

Duda, New York's first baseman, was held out of Friday night's game due to a case of food poisoning, and manager Terry Collins didn't expect to have him back for Saturday. The veteran made a full recovery, though, and after running through pregame drills, he talked his way into the lineup.

"I feel a lot better and I'll play today," said Duda. "I just told him, 'Hey, I feel good. I want to play.'"

Duda, batting .266 with four home runs entering Saturday, said he thought he contracted the sickness from eating an undercooked hamburger. Duda's illness came right when he was heating up at the plate, as the 28-year-old was hitting .316 with a .435 on-base percentage during May entering Saturday.

Duda, in his first season as the team's full-time starting first baseman, has played in 31 of the Mets' first 34 games, and 12 of his 15 RBIs have come in a victory. Duda was batting .282 with seven extra-base hits against right-handed pitchers, but he was bating just .188 against left-handers.