Mets Press Release
Dwight Gooden, Rusty Staub, Howie Rose and Evan Roberts named judges for Banner Day on Sunday, May 27 at Citi Field
Banner Day participants to check in at Bullpen Plaza; Registration begins at 10 a.m., space is limited; Tickets for Banner Day are on sale now at Mets.com
FLUSHING, N.Y. – The New York Mets today named Mets Hall of Famers Dwight Gooden and Rusty Staub, and Sports Radio 66 WFAN radio personalities Howie Rose and Evan Roberts as judges for Banner Day on Sunday, May 27 prior to the 1:10 p.m. Mets-Padres game at Citi Field.
The judges will select three finalists and then fans texting at the ballpark and at home through Twitter and Facebook will decide the winning banner. The grand prize will be a trip for two to 2013 Mets Spring Training in Port St. Lucie.
The Mets also announced guidelines for the return of Banner Day, a Mets tradition from 1963 to 1996 when fans of all ages paraded around the field with homemade banners that professed their love for the team.
- Banner Day participants must have tickets to the game
- Participants must check in at the Bullpen Plaza on 126th Street at 37th Avenue
- Registration begins at 10:00 a.m. Space is limited.
- Banners must celebrate the Mets 50th Anniversary, expressing fans’ favorite memories or moments in franchise history
- Banners must be at least 22” by 28” in size
- Banners may not contain vulgar or abusive language
- Commercially produced banners are permitted, but banners may not contain commercial messages, web sites or Twitter handles
- Only the fans required to carry each banner will be permitted onto the field, up to a maximum of four.
- The Mets reserve the right to deny access to the field to any banner or person that is deemed inappropriate
The revival of Banner Day is part of the Mets season-long 50th anniversary celebration that includes a commemorative logo and redesigned uniforms, the launch of the Mets50.com and the Mets 50th Anniversary Alumni Bobblehead Series.
Tickets for Banner Day are on sale now online at Mets.com and by phone at (718) 507-TIXX