NEW YORK -- In the span of a week, Mets utility outfielder Jason Pridie has weathered his first earthquake and his first hurricane. So far, so good.
Pridie and his wife had been staying at the Vincci Avalon Hotel in Manhattan, but they were forced to evacuate to the Westin in Times Square in anticipation of Hurricane Irene. Fortunately, Pridie and his wife felt none of the storm's ill effects and were happy to return to their apartment in Long Island City on Sunday to find no flooding or structural damage.
"My dad called me at 8 a.m. asking if everything was OK, and I called him back at 10. I was like, 'Yeah, I slept through it,'" Pridie said. "I know that it hit some low-lying areas pretty hard, but as far as us, it was almost just like a little storm."
"We got back into our apartment yesterday morning and everything was good."
The hurricane also forced some of Pridie's teammates who live in Long Island City -- like Bobby Parnell, Dillon Gee and Justin Turner -- to evacuate their homes. While it was thought that some players might choose to stay at Citi Field during the hurricane, the team decided it was in the players' best interests to stay elsewhere.
General manager Sandy Alderson said that all players who had to leave their homes were able to find alternative shelter elsewhere, some with the help of the club.
Alderson, who stayed at his daughter's house on the Jersey Shore, said he found minor flooding at his home in New York. He also encountered two trees lying across the freeway on Interstate 287.
Manager Terry Collins stayed the night in Manhattan after telling reporters before the storm he was getting in his car and heading west on Saturday morning. Collins encountered neither harm nor structural damage.
"There was not a lot of structural damage, I can tell you that," Collins said. "The buildings keep the wind from being too bad. It was fine. Actually, when I went back to my apartment, the apartment was fine, too."
As for Pridie, he's happy he made it through his first two natural disasters safe and sound, but he's not hoping to go through another one anytime soon.
"The only thing I don't want to be in is a tornado," Pridie said. "I'll go ahead and pass on that for my entire life, because you don't want to mess with those."
Reyes returns for nightcap of twin bill
NEW YORK -- It's been a long three weeks, but the Mets finally saw the return of shortstop and catalyst Jose Reyes to the lineup in the second game of their Monday doubleheader against the Marlins at Citi Field.
The Mets went 7-11 after Reyes went down with his second strained left hamstring of the season, and they have tumbled from nine games out of the National League Wild Card to 15 behind the Braves. Needless to say, manager Terry Collins is excited to have Reyes, who still leads the National League in batting average, back in the lineup.
"He brings such energy to the field and the team," Collins said. "He loves to play, loves to be out there. He had a good weekend in Binghamton.
"I just want him to go out and play. I think his energy, his presence in our lineup, makes us a better team."
Reyes led off and played shortstop in Game 2 after three rehab games with Double-A Binghamton, where he went 3-for-9 with a home run. Collins' decision to give Reyes the first game off is the first instance of him implementing a plan to spell Reyes occasionally to keep his valuable legs healthy and in the lineup.
"There's no question, he's going to want to play," Collins said. "He and I have already discussed that, at length, his desire to be on the field. I certainly respect it tremendously, but as I've told him, we've tried that twice, and he's going to get some rest."
The shortstop, batting .336 this season with an .884 on-base plus slugging percentage, was not officially added to the Mets' roster until after the first game so as not to force the Mets to play with 24 players in Game 1 of the doubleheader.
As a result of Reyes' return, the Mets sent outfielder Mike Baxter back to Triple-A Buffalo. In 10 games since being called up Aug. 8, Baxter batted .250 with a .368 on-base percentage and a .438 slugging percentage.
Decision on surgery for Davis looming
NEW YORK -- The clock is ticking on Ike Davis' injured left ankle.
Team doctors will make a decision no later than Sept. 5 as to whether the Mets' first baseman will have surgery on the bone bruise and ankle sprain that have kept him out of action since May 10.
Davis ran for the first time in several weeks Thursday and Friday, with what general manager Sandy Alderson described as "few problems." Alderson said Davis would run again Monday and Tuesday, after which the bopper will be evaluated and his doctors will decide whether to proceed with surgery.
"This came after complete rest for a couple of weeks, so from that standpoint, not having any pain was encouraging," Alderson said Monday. "So we'll see what happens today and tomorrow, and see where that goes."
Alderson said Davis didn't feel any pain during running sessions that he described as "extensive" and "full-on." The decision needs to be made by Labor Day since surgery at a later date would mean Davis would have to miss part of Spring Training while rehabbing.
Prior to his injury, Davis was the Mets' best hitter, batting .302 with an impressive .383 on-base percentage and a .543 slugging percentage in 36 games.
"If he has pain, that would be a big issue, a major red flag," Alderson said. "He had a few problems when he ran previously before the complete rest, so that takes us back several weeks. There was no pain Thursday or Friday."
In other injury news, Alderson said it's "conceivable" that Johan Santana could return to the Mets to pitch an inning or two before the season ends. The ace southpaw has missed all season after having surgery to repair a torn anterior capsule in his shoulder last September.
Alderson said he saw Santana throw a bullpen session last Tuesday, and that it's possible he could pitch in a Minor League game by next weekend.
"He felt great and was encouraged," Alderson said. "We talked a little bit about how we use the rest of the Minor League season, the instructional league opportunity that he has, maybe winter ball, and even some possibility of pitching here if only for an inning or two depending on where he is in his schedule."
The Mets' Wednesday, Sept. 7 game at Florida has been moved up to 5:10 p.m. ET in order to allow the club time to travel back to New York earlier for its Sept. 8 doubleheader against Atlanta.
The Mets will host Hispanic Heritage Night Presented by Goya Foods on Thursday to celebrate Latino culture and Goya's 75th anniversary. The night's festivities will feature New York salsa band "La Evidencia" performing on Mets Plaza before the game with the Kips Bay dancers of the Boys & Girls Club.
An authentic Mariachi band will perform at the top of the Jackie Robinson Rotunda pregame to continue the celebration and kick off Hispanic Heritage Month, which begins Sept. 15 and lasts through Oct. 15.
The Mets announced Monday that they will launch an anti-bullying public service awareness campaign designed to educate children about bullying and offer support. The PSAs will began airing Monday at Citi Field and will continue during games and on SNY to help deliver the message to the broadest audience.
Jason Bay, Chris Capuano, R.A. Dickey, Daniel Murphy and David Wright are among the players who participated in tapings for the segment. The content was developed in conjunction with StopBullying.gov, an official U.S. Government website managed by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Education.
Terry Collins said Monday that with shortstop Jose Reyes returning, Justin Turner and Ruben Tejada will share an even split of the playing time at second base. The excess of middle infielders will also allow Collins the opportunity to play Turner at third base to spell David Wright.
Aaron Taube is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.