Mets' Minaya apologizes to reporter
GM calls remarks about Daily News' Rubin 'out of character'
NEW YORK -- Hoping to move past a scenario that COO Jeff Wilpon said put the organization "on the spot," Mets general manager Omar Minaya has apologized to New York Daily News reporter Adam Rubin. Minaya returned to public view Thursday morning, saying he had met with Rubin on Wednesday, and issued a public apology to the club's ownership and to Mets fans.
He called the remarks he made Monday, connecting Rubin and the club's dismissal of vice president of player development Tony Bernazard, "out of character," acknowledged that the emotions prompted by removing his friend "got to me," and said, "I still feel really bad."
The general manager later acknowledged "those thoughts [about Rubin's motives] were wrong," but mostly, he apologized for making his thoughts public in the news conference forum Monday. Minaya also admitted realizing he had misspoken "the minute I said it." But he stood by his comments later Monday in an impromptu news conference at which Wilpon exonerated Rubin. Minaya acknowledged then only that he had used an inappropriate forum.
"It was not an Omar action," he said.
Minaya seemingly had implied that a series of Rubin's reports published in the New York Daily News had been prompted by the reporter's seeking employment with the Mets in the player development department. Minaya said several times on Monday that Rubin had lobbied for a position in player development.
"I admit to making a mistake, bringing up the things I did," Minaya said. "I should have talked to Adam separately. I did not do that. I take full responsibility for that."
Rubin, the reporter who covers the Mets beat for the News, denied that implied accusation. He has not returned to Citi Field since Monday. He was scheduled to be off.
Marty Noble is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.